- 1 lb raw, thawed overnight, deveined, shell removed shrimp
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 tablespoon Blues Hog Honey Mustard
Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce
2 tablespoons Blues Hog Honey Mustard
- 1 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Place shrimp into a large bowl, sprinkle baking soda and kosher salt and toss to coat.
SmellaQue Pro Tip: baking soda can change the pH of shrimp to be more alkaline and creating a better “bouncy” bite vs. being too soft. Salt adds great flavor
- Place bowl of shrimp into refrigerator for 15 minutes or more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix Sweet Mustard Zing sauce – honey mustard, apple butter, kosher salt and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- If grilling, preheat grill. If baking, preheat oven to 425ºF.
- On a pan, place sweetened shredded coconut into oven for 5 to toast. Stir shredded coconut and toast until lightly brown, another 2-5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once shredded coconut is cool, place into food processor on pulse on high until pieces are smaller.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together toasted shredded coconut and Panko bread crumbs.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour dredge – flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together milk dredge – milk, apple butter, honey mustard.
- Take shrimp out of the refrigerator and rinse under cold water to wash away the baking soda. Drain excess water.
Recipe Created By
Janice Smella, SmellaQue